Nothing says third child quite like an 18 month update and favorites post at 20 months. Oops! Luckily, I have a camera roll of snaps to at least make me feel like I’m caught up!
Riley is so active and so busy all of the time. She has the happiest smile, loves so hard and is unapologetically honest with her feelings and emotions. She’s a kissing fool who loves her dog and her daddy more than anything. Her likes and dislikes are very distinct and constantly changing and every day with her is a surprise.
Riley is a super late teether, which is probably central in who she is and her current behaviors and moods. In truth, while this age is my absolute favorite, it’s definitely kicking my butt right now. She didn’t get any teeth until after she turned one and is currently teething hard. And it majorly affects her. I had no idea how rough late teething is until this child! She is moody, clingy and not napping quite often. But, I think her fourth molar came through! So there is a light at the end of the teething tunnel. I just need to figure out how to get her back to napping daily!
However, she has had some really big changes in the past few months that are game changers. The biggest is that she will go into the gym childcare happily! This took a fully year to get to, but now she loves it! She interacts with other children her age, burns energy and even has some new friends that she waves hi to! It may seem minor, but this helps make the transition to preschool much smoother and easier, and somehow the time for that is quickly approaching.
. . .
Right now, her favorite things to do are these:
- Go for a stroll in her car, preferably with a snack in hand. She loves anything that has a steering wheel, or related to cars really. I stepped into my shower yesterday to find a Hot Wheels that she had left in there. We can spend so much time at Home Depot with her easily because of their steering wheel carts. Good thing we are there a lot! This is the car that we have and love.
- Watch her favorite movies on long car rides. We don’t take a ton of long car rides, but Riley has never been a fan of the car to begin with. We have an iPad in a holder on the headrest that she can watch. She goes through movie obsession stages. It started with Frozen, and then Moana, and now it is Hop and Secret Life of Pets.
- Play with Avery and Greyson anytime they will include her. If either of them has a friend here, Riley has to participate. There are no if’s, and’s or but’s about it. She will follow them room to room and sit nearby watching if it isn’t an activity she is fully interested in. I find it so funny to see how she sort of stalks the older kids. But I know it’s great for her development and nine times out of ten they will go out of their way to include her in play.
- Slide! We move it inside or outside depending on the weather. There is almost always a “whee” involved and a solid twenty minutes of up and down slide runs. This is the slide we have.
- Color! Unfortunately, Riley seems to prefer markers of the more permanent kind – how does she know the difference?! I just placed an Amazon order for a couple of new washable sets to try, so fingers crossed she will like those! Earlier this week I had a deadline and to occupy her, I gave her a set of paper and crayons. She loves, loves, loves to empty crayons from their container and put them back in. However, this time she just wanted to empty them. And within ten seconds, I swear, she had colored on our wall and all over her Cozy Coupe. I can’t get crayon off the super hard plastic – do you have any tips?
- Baby Dolls. This little lady has such a soft spot in her heart for baby dolls. Anytime she sees one, she gets her hands on it as fast as possible. Most of the day, there is one in her arms or nearby. We took the kids to the Babyland General Hospital over Spring Break and her little mind was blown at the baby Cabbage Patch dolls. We left with a very random one, but the way that she loves on it melts my heart.
. . .
Riley’s 18 month favorites
That is Riley’s 18 month update and favorites as explicitly chosen by her and her strong personality. ???? Thank you for indulging me and letting me have my sappy mom moments and record these moments in my kids’ lives here!